Wednesday, November 4, 2015

9 Life Lessons I’ve Learned During College

I'm almost done with college.  I'm graduating next month.  I keep saying it to myself and it still barely seems real!  So I guess in honor of my almost graduation, I'm posting some of my own life lessons I have learned from my time at college.  No doubt that getting older and my personal experiences shape what I have for advice, but I think everyone can find some of their own application in each piece.    

(1) You don’t have to be best friends with everyone, but it is important to be civil
Don’t burn bridges. You never know when someone can help you down the road. You might meet some people you aren’t fond of, but being civil shows good character.

(2) Mental Health should be a priority
We have all had those moments when we are so sick with stress that it is almost paralyzing. Feeling like you need to keep studying and working otherwise the world will come to an end and your life will be over. False. Life will always go on. TAKE BREAKS & BE HAPPY.

(3) Spend time with people that you value 
It’s almost impossible not to get caught up in the flood of coursework and studying, but don’t forget about the friends you’ve made or your family. Spend time with these people so your relationships don’t drift off.

(4) Carry snacks and a water bottle with you at all times
Because you never know when you are going to be caught off guard with sporadic plans and you have no time to stop to eat a meal. And for whenever you get hungry of course.

(5) Realize that everyone comes from different backgrounds, situations, talents, and abilities. So quit being jealous
There will always be someone who is better. The sooner you accept your abilities and capitalize on them while striving to improve your weaknesses, the better.

(6) Setting goals is not dumb
Setting short-term and long-term goals is awesome. It gives you something to always reach for, and most importantly it gives hope. It is also liberating to reach your goal and take pride in what you’ve done to get yourself there.

(7) Accept, and learn from, rejection
In all forms. In relationships, jobs, internships, etc. If someone/something/company/organization/anything rejects you for some reason, consider it to be their loss. They/It lost out on a great opportunity by not taking you on. It can be discouraging, but there are lots of ways to learn from these types of situations.

(8) If you want something done, go out and do it
This is pretty self-explanatory. Often times we like to wait around and hope things just get done magically. But they don’t. Be assertive.

(9) Do things that make you happy
This seems cheesy, but seriously you only live once. Try to enjoy every moment, strive to be positive, and have an optimistic outlook on life.

12 comments:

  1. I enjoyed this post and agree with your advice. Great life lessons learned in college! I hope you had a great college experience!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Morgan! Just wanted to say I always looked forward to reading your new posts throughout the semester, great job. Congrats on graduating!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Abby, I appreciate you keeping up with my posts!

      Delete
  3. All very true lessons in life..you are strong headed n a beautiful woman. You have learned a lot in college n will continue learning with life experiences. I am very proud of you n love you. You deserve an A++��

    ReplyDelete
  4. So true! Congrats on graduating!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This was a great way to settle my mind right before bed! Congrats on your time at UNI! Couldn't be happier for you!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Morgan! This is such a well thought out article! Can't believe that you are graduating:( But so proud of all that you've accomplished! Keep reaching for the stars ��

    ReplyDelete